Costa Mesa community page
Click here for Costa Mesa Restaurants
The Mesa Verde Library
Becoming a Friend of the Library:The three Costa Mesa Libraries have a single Friends group which supports them all. Revenue comes from book sales, a used bookstore at the Costa Mesa branch, and used book carts at both Costa Mesa and Mesa Verde. You may join the Friends of the Costa Mesa Libraries by filling out an application available at either branch.
Click on logo for Costa Mesa National Little League Baseball Information
Mesa Verde Country Club Costa Mesa's Premier Country Club- available for non members for Weddings
Halecrest Park - Swim & Tennis Club
Click Here For The Costa Mesa Chamber of Commerce
Costa Mesa Timeline
1822 Newport Blvd: Alpha Beta Store 1924
On March 13, 1924 the Alpha Beta store opened. It was the 13th store in the chain. Its motto was “The best for less.”
A meat market was added in 1925, then a bakery in 1926. In 1928 a 4-year anniversary celebration was held coinciding with the March 13th birthday of store manager Fred Siefert. To celebrate he had specials for 13 cents, a 13 to a dozen promotion and a 13-layer cake.
In 1929, a refrigerated fruit and vegetable department was added. Later that same year the store started a “coupon book system” which would tide customers over between pay days. They gave customers 15-30 days to make payment on their accounts.
1824 Newport Blvd: Costa Mesa Garage 1922-1937
Fred Rehme opened the first auto repair shop in Costa Mesa in 1922. The garage sold Red Crown gasoline and included a full service shop for repairs.
In 1926 it was sold to Lloyd and E. L. Hicks.
Charles L. Perry purchased the business in 1930 and changed the name to C.L. Perry’s Sales and Service Garage. The business continued to serve as a gas station and a garage.
1826 Newport Blvd: Mesa Tavern 1928
Jerry Teaney opened a diner in this location in August 1928. The diner was successful and catered parties and clubs. The interior of the restaurant was designed to resemble a rural French tavern with rafters, a brick fireplace with a wide hearth and several small windows. The diner was popular for its 50 cent lunches.
In August 1930 it was taken over by George J. Anderson and his wife. Under the proprietorship of the Andersons the tavern was open from 6:00 am to midnight. Chili and tamales were the house specialties.
1828 Newport Blvd: Braddy’s Barber Shoppe 1921
The barber shop was owned by Lloyd Braddy, a charter member of the Costa Mesa Lions. The barber shop stayed open until 8:00 pm. It promised a modern and “most becoming” cut with a “clean towel for every customer.” The shop had three chairs and offered haircuts for 75 cents, shaves and manicures. Haircuts for children (under 14) were 35 cents.
During the Depression he reduced his prices twice. In 1932 they were reduced to 40 cents for adults and 25 cents for children. In 1933 they were reduced again and all hair cuts were 25 cents.
In 1932 the business moved to 1842 Newport Blvd. This was one of Costa Mesa’s longest established businesses and moved to Harbor Blvd in 1950. After Braddy’s death the business was bought by Ed Swaim who continued operating it as a barber shop.
This building was originally owned by Charles Watson. In 1928 it was sold to James Tallman. In a June 7, 1928 newspaper article it was reported that the new owner “plans changes and improvements” and will give the public a clean pool room where “the men and boys of the community may enjoy the game under pleasant conditions.”
In June 1930 Frank Chapman took over the operation of the parlor. He took the progressive step of allowing ladies to play. He also furnished the lobby with easy chairs, library tables and magazines where people could spend time while waiting for the next billiard table.
The building was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake. The March 11, 1933 Santa Ana Register reported that the “entire front of the billiard parlor crashed to the ground.”
1836 Newport Blvd: Pennant Bakery 1925
The Pennant Bakery was opened in 1925 by N.P. Peterson who also had a bakery in Newport Beach.
The Costa Mesa bakery was known for “Pennant Bread” and Danish pastry. Mr. Peterson allowed residents to use his large ovens to roast their Thanksgiving turkeys. Part of the store was a confectionary which was run by Mrs. William Rochester who sold ice cream and candies.
1838 Newport Blvd: Mesa Cleaners 1926
Mesa Cleaners was operated by F.P. Miller. In addition to cleaning and pressing he offered clothing repair. Men’s suits and ladies coats were cleaned for 60 cents.
In early 1930 it was reopened as Costa Mesa Cleaners by Jimmie and Bill Williams. In addition to cleaning they also did tailoring. Their men’s suits sold for $37.95. As an opening special, the first 50 customers could buy one suit and get the second free. Delivery service was also offered.
1840 Newport Blvd: Middaugh Shoes 1929
J. Middaugh moved his shoe store to this location in July 1929. He moved into a newly constructed building and officially changed the name from the Costa Mesa Shoe Store to Middaugh Shoes. In addition to selling shoes, the store did shoe repairs and was sometimes called the “shoe hospital.”
1848 Newport Blvd: Safeway Store 1929
When opened in 1929, the new store boasted modern fixtures and self-service shopping. The store promised that customers would be pleased with fresh food and good prices. (Bread sold for 5¢ a loaf and coffee for 49¢ for a 1lb can.) Customers were assured that they got the same prices as in Los Angeles and that almost all the fruits and vegetables were grown on the Mesa.
After the building was damaged in the 1933 earthquake, improvements were made including converting the building to an open front market and increasing the size of the vegetable stand. The business became a Pay ‘n’ Takit Store in 1934.
1800 Newport Blvd: Ozment General Store and Post Office 1908-1917
1908 Walter Ozment opened the first store in the city (Costa Mesa was known as Harper until 1920.) He paid $50 for the 1-acre lot. This two story building was both a home (upstairs) and general store and post office (downstairs). The store sold groceries, feed, yardage and kerosene. Ozment owned one of the first cars in town. He had a gasoline tank to supply the few other cars.
In March 1909 Ozment was named the town’s first postmaster and his wife Velma was the assistant postmaster. The store was destroyed in 1917 by fire and a new store was built the same year.
In 1922 W.D. Barnard’s Pioneer Grocery and Meat Market opened on this site.
1802 Newport Blvd: F.M. Blum Shoe Repairs 1923
In 1923 the only shoe store in Costa Mesa was F.M. Blum. It sold men’s, women’s and children’s shoes and also did repairs.
In 1925 J. Middaugh bought the shoe stock and machinery and changed the name to the Costa Mesa Shoe Store.
1804 Newport Blvd: Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921
In 1921 Grant Davis opened the first barbershop in town. The soda fountain was run by Davis’ wife and she did all the cooking.
Davis sold the business to Jack Wright in 1923, who renamed the store the Costa Mesa Confectionary and Lunch. Lunch cost 50 cents. Pastries, candies, cigars, tobacco and magazines were sold.
In 1929, the café, which was now known as the Mesa Café, was sold to Frank H. Chapman. Chapman was a gifted artist. His paintings were for sale and were displayed on the walls of the café.
In January 1933 the café was again sold, this time to Joe Sweeney who owned a chain of coffee shops and hotels. They served turkey dinner every Saturday.
1806 Newport Blvd: Newport-Meyers Department Store 1924-1927
In 1924 Fred and Mary Meyers opened a department store and held a contest for customers to guess their combined weight. The prize was $10. The store sold clothes, dry goods and notions. At Christmastime the store carried a full line of toys and advertised itself as “THE Toyland of the Harbor District”; and for the 4th of July they sold fireworks. They also did watch repairs.
In May of 1927 they started “Dollar Day” to increase sales. The business was moved to a larger location in October 1927 which allowed them to increase the quantity and variety of their stock.
The business was moved again in 1934, to 1816 Newport Blvd and stayed in business there until 1940.
1808 Newport Blvd: Model Drug Store 1928-1937
In 1921 this was the retail sales room and cider mill for the Costa Mesa Apple Growers Association.
In 1928 O.P. Fawcett and J. Kearns opened the Model Drug Store. A registered pharmacist filled prescriptions. The store was also popular for its handmade candies. In 1929 S. L. Bean purchased a part interest in the store.
By 1933 the Fawcett family had become the sole owner following an altercation over the accounts that was reported in the April 13, 1933 Costa Mesa Herald. In 1937 Samuel Crawford bought the store and changed the name to Crawford’s Drug.
1810 Newport Blvd: Offices of The Costa Mesa Herald 1925-1936
This was the first local newspaper and was an offshoot of the Newport News. In 1929 a two-year subscription cost just $3.00. During the Depression years beginning in 1933, the paper traded a year’s subscription for any marketable product so that customers could continue getting the paper.
In 1936 the name changed to the Globe-Herald and the office moved to 109 Broadway.
In 1959 it changed names again to the Globe-Herald and Pilot; it was renamed again in 1961 to the Orange Coast Daily Pilot.
1812 Newport Blvd: Post Office 1925
In 1925 W. W. Middleton was appointed Postmaster and the Post Office moved from a corner of the TeWinkle Hardware Store to its own building. The Post Office had post office boxes where residents could get their mail at any time because the building wasn’t locked; the stamp window was open for business from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
By 1929 104 new boxes had been added. In 1932 Middleton started offering a postal savings system to make up for the lack of banking facilities in town. Anyone over 10 years old could deposit at least $1 and married women could deposit in their own name. Accounts paid 2% interest annually.
1814 Newport Blvd: Wayside Market 1920-1925
In 1920 the Wayside market became the second store in Costa Mesa to open. This was a market owned by local fruit and vegetable growers. They sold their produce and flowers and had tables where ice cream and soft drinks were served.
In 1921 a meat market was added. Before that residents had to travel to Santa Ana to purchase meat. In 1925 the market became a part of the Alpha Beta store as a produce stand just inside the larger store. In 1927 two stores, Lewis Market and Flinn’s Variety moved into the location. In 1935 it became a Food Basket store.
1816 Newport Blvd: Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923-1932
In 1922 the bank opened in a temporary location and moved to this location in May 1923. On their first day they had 300 depositors; the first one received a gold pencil and the other 299 got silver pencils.
In 1926 the bank established a savings system for students; an account could be opened with $1 and it paid 4% interest compounded semi-annually.
In January 1932 the bank closed its doors due to excessive withdrawals. Attempts to reopen failed; eventually savings depositors got 65% of their money and commercial depositors got 30%.
From 1923 to 1924 the City’s first library was on the second floor and was open three days a week. Also on the second floor were the offices of Dr. C. G. Huston, dentist and Williamson & Williamson Realtors. After the earthquake in 1933, Dr. Huston moved his offices to his residence on 18th Street.
In September 1926, Diehl and Anderson opened the first law firm in the Harbor District on the second floor.
1818 Newport Blvd: TeWinkle Hardware 1922-45
In October 1922 Charles TeWinkle opened a store that carried a full line of hardware and plumbing fixtures. Charles TeWinkle was Postmaster from 1920-1925 and the store housed the post office until 1925. TeWinkle would eventually become the City’s first Mayor of Costa Mesa in 1953; he was also a charter member of the Lion’s Club.
In March 1927 TeWinkle decided to make major changes to his store and how it operated. He started by holding his first sale. The following month he enlarged his store and remodeled extensively. The remodeled store included a “modern front” with a recessed entrance and display windows. More space was added to the rear and mezzanine floor for the office space.
In 1931 TeWinkle organized a campaign to lower unemployment which he called “57 Ways to Put a Neighbor to Work.”
In 1932, under an arrangement with Southern Counties Gas Company, customers were able to pay their gas bill in his store.
1820 Newport Blvd: Pink’s Drugs 1933-1979
Originally known as Costa Mesa Pharmacy, the business was owned by George Merrick. H.R. Fuller, who had worked for Merrick, bought the business in 1930 and the store became known as Fuller Pharmacy.
In 1933 Alvin Pinkley purchased Fuller Pharmacy and changed the name to Pink’s. The pharmacy was famous for its marble topped soda fountain which was damaged in the 1933 earthquake.
Pink’s was a popular store, candy counter, fountain and pharmacy for 46 years.
Alvin Pinkley was a leading citizen serving on the Water Board, School Board and City Council as well as serving as Mayor.
Our congratulations to Adams Elementary for another fun Country Fair! We enjoyed seeing all our friends at the giant 30 foot slide we sponsored this year. Please come back often to this page for more exciting events sponsored by Larry & Laurie Weichman
Have Santa Visit your home! Sat. Dec. 6th. in the following communities of Costa Mesa. Halecrest, Mesa North and Mesa Del Mar. Watch for details on this up coming event sponsored by Weichman Associates- Realtors.
This production of an annual presentation of the classic by South Coast Repertory.
South Coast Repertory, Mainstage 714.708.5555
Team Weichman is a proud sponsor of this event since 1992. Look for the Weichman family and Santa Claus on the day of the event!
Costa Mesa Police Department is asking for donations for its 18th annual Food
and Gift Program for needy families living in the city. The goal is to provide a
Christmas food package for 100 families and a gift for each child 12 and
The department is asking for donations of money, canned food items and unwrapped new toys before December 15. These can be dropped off at the Westside Substation, at 567 W. 18th Street, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday or at the main police station, at 99 Fair Drive, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.. For more information, call (714) 327-7450, we will also be glad to stop by your home or office to pick up your donation for this worthy cause.
September- Every Year
Free Ice Cream Day- Watch for details on this up coming event sponsored by Weichman Associates- Realtors.
The Friends of Fairview Park
need your help in preserving and restoring one of the area’s last remaining natural, undeveloped treasures for current and future generations. It has retained its wonderfully distinctive character while offering a unique site for these passive-use activities.
The Orange County Model Engineers operate the Railroad Station at the eastern end of the park and provide free model train rides on the third weekend of each month.
All areas of the park provide unique scenery for horseback riding, hiking, walking, running, and biking enthusiasts with or without their dogs.
In the Future
New and improved trails for activities within the park.
A picnic area within the train rail area for outings.
A botanical garden with a plant palette expanded to present plant communities from other parts of California in addition to local natives featured in the park.
A natural history museum/interpretive area to encourage education, awareness, and interest in the park’s treasures.
Model glider airplane flying takes place at the center of the park with organized flying events and plenty of expertise.
Near the entrance of the park are grassy, open areas to fly kites. Get a kite and bring your family.
Quiet picnic areas for small group activities and isolated alcoves for quiet contemplation.
Bird and animal lovers have a rare opportunity to capture the sights and sounds of wildlife hidden among the myriad of habitats.
(714) 754-5688, FairviewFriends@ci.costa-mesa.ca.us
Activities Contacts: Bark Park Foundation (949) 548-8521
ReLeaf Costa Mesa (714) 444-1379
Harbor Soaring Society (949) 642-6830
Costa Mesa Historical Society (949) 631-5918
Orange County Model Engineers (949) 631-3418
Costa Mesa Bark Park
WED THROUGH MONDAY
DAWN TO DUSK
BARK PARK IS
The Costa Mesa Bark Park is on the corner of Arlington Ave and Newport Blvd in TeWinkle Park, across the street from the Orange County Fairgrounds Equestrian Center.
COSTA MESA BARK PARK FACT SHEET
The COSTA MESA BARK PARK is a fully fenced, approximately two acre, piece of land designated by the City of Costa Mesa as a area where the public can take their dogs and legally allow them to run and play off-leash. It is the only area of the City of Costa Mesa where dogs are not required, by ordinance, to be on a leash.
ESTABLISHED: The BARK PARK was opened on October 15, 1994.
LOCATION: BARK PARK is located in the southwest corner of TeWinkle Park (a public park in the City of Costa Mesa). Access is off Arlington Avenue between Junipero Drive and Newport Blvd..
TIMES OF OPERATION: Currently the BARK PARK is open every day, except Tuesdays, from Dawn until Dusk. It is closed during inclement weather
USAGE: The BARK PARK is probably the most popular and heavily used park in the Costa Mesa public park system. On any given weekend day, the Park is visited by hundreds of dogs and owners.
FUNDING: BARK PARK is fully funded by donations from it's users and businesses.
ADMINISTRATION: The Bark Park Volunteer Executive Committee is a group of private citizens who volunteer their time on behalf of BARK PARK to;
-Raise funds (usually through fund raising events at the Park)
- Disseminate Information through flyers, information days etc.
- Act as liaison with the City to address and resolve Park problems and deal with complaints/suggestions from Park users
-Prepare reports and presentations and provide information for the Parks & Recreations Commission and/or the City Council.
NEWSLETTER: The BARK PARK's official Newsletter, published quarterly, THE FREE-POOCH PRESS, contains information for Park users as well as original articles, reviews etc. of interest to dog owners.
CONTACT: This FACT SHEET was prepared by the Bark Park Volunteer Committee.
If you need information about COSTA MESA BARK PARK contact: PATRICIA BELL (information officer)
P.O. Box 153, 179 E. 17th Street, Costa Mesa, California 92627
Phone (949) 733-4101
Costa Mesa Senior Center
695 West 19th Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Fax (949) 645-4804
The Costa Mesa Senior CenterThis multipurpose Center is governed by the independent nonprofit Costa Mesa Senior Corporation. The Center offers services and activities which fulfill the needs and interests of those persons fifty and older.
Our goals are to enhance quality of life, promote dignity and respect, nurture talents and skills, foster social interaction, and support independence and self determination. The Center's funding is dependent upon the generosity of the community and we greatly appreciate your donations and contributions
CAPACITY, MANAGEMENT, OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE
Yes, it is nice to visit your mom but CMOM refers to proposed Federal Regulations that require owners of sewer systems such as the Costa Mesa Sanitary District to maintain the system in proper working order and prevent sewer spills. CMOM stands for Capacity, Management, Operations and Maintenance, the four key elements to successfully maintaining a sewer system.
The Sanitary District has owned and operated your sewer system since 1944 and because the Board of Directors and staff are committed to serving you, your system has always been in excellent shape and will remain that way.
“Protecting Your Environment”
Phone: (714) 754-5087
Fax: (714) 432-1436
The Costa Mesa Police Explorer Post #198 is accepting applications for volunteer positions. The program allows the volunteer to gain first-hand knowledge of what it is like to be a police officer. Training includes areas of law enforcement, a ride-along with patrol officers and working at several different events within the community. Interested youth, ages 14-20 years, living or going to school in Costa Mesa, in the ninth grade or above, maintaining a ‘C’ average and having no arrests, may contact the Explorer Post supervisor at (714) 327-7454 for application information.
The Costa Mesa Human Relations Committee was established to encourage communication and understanding between the citizens of Costa Mesa, to assist the various cultural and ethnic groups in learning about and understanding each other, and to offer forums and community events designed to help accomplish these goals. Additionally, the Committee produces a public access cable television program called “Open Line Costa Mesa” that serves as a forum for topics of interest and benefit to the citizens of the City, and maintains a social service resource directory for public use in the City Clerk’s office.
fourth Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall.
Recorded information about current recycling programs in Costa Mesa is available 24 hours a day by calling (714) 754-5600. Recycling information is also available on the City’s website: www.ci.costa-mesa.ca.us.
Residential Pick-up of Used Oil
The City of Costa Mesa and the Costa Mesa Sanitary District offer a “free” service for the pick-up of used motor oil and oil filters from City residents. The used motor oil will be recycled into replacement fuel and/or re-refined motor oil. The used oil filters will be recycled into new metal products. This program is funded by a grant from the California Integrated Waste Management Board. Residents can call 1-800-449-7587 to schedule the home pick-up. If you prefer to take your used motor oil and filters to a certified collection center in Costa Mesa, call the City’s Used Oil Recycling Hotline (714) 754-4861 for locations.
The Costa Mesa Sanitary District Board of Directors recently approved the implementation of a residential standardized trash collection program throughout the District. The program offers many new benefits including the following:
Taking Charge of Your Home Remodel
For the homeowner who has chosen a contractor to remodel or add on to their home, be sure the contract is complete.
First, “up front money” to start the job is limited to $1,000 or 10% of the total contract, whichever is less. (A swimming pool project shall not exceed $200 or 2%.) Then be sure the contract has a breakdown that includes: scope of work, itemized cost, progressive payment schedule, and completion schedule of work to be performed. Each payment should include labor and material releases for that portion of contract completed.
When the project is finished, final payment should be made after the following items have been completed: the scope of work per the contract has been completed to the homeowner’s satisfaction; all labor and material releases, guarantees, and warranties have been obtained; all final City inspections have been obtained by the contractor.
If you decide to make any changes or additions to the project, be sure they are in writing. Keep in mind that the changes and additions will affect the final cost and completion date of the project.
Always communicate with your contractor and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Remember, you are the homeowner, you’re paying the bills, which makes you in charge.
Re-roofing Can Cause More Than Headaches
When having your home re-roofed, be aware that during the re-roofing process the old roof is usually removed, including all roof material, pipe flashing, valley metal, etc. The problem with the hot water heater and the furnace vent pipes starts with the removal and reinstallation of the pipe flashings. The vent pipes may become disconnected at the unit inside the house. If the contractor doesn’t see the problem from on top of the roof, and the homeowner doesn’t know what to look for, the house may become filled with carbon monoxide. The key is to check the vent pipes from the unit through the roof during all phases of the re-roofing project.
In the event the roof contractor is unable to correct any vent pipe problems, you may want to contact a qualified heating and air